Our Mission: “to make disciples who go, grow, & overcome" – Matt 28:18-20
Jesus’ first command to his disciples before ascending into Heaven was simple: “Go make disciples of all the nations...”. At the Village Church we take this command seriously. A going church is a growing church. A staying church is a dying church. Every ministry in our church is continually seeking to wisely, lovingly, and effectively bring the soul-saving gospel of Jesus to our friends, family, neighbors, city, and world. This is our mission because it is Jesus’ mission.
We use three verbs to talk about “going” at the Village Church.
- Pray: Individuals and ministries should spend time praying for the lost specifically by name, generally for groups of people. We pray for things out of our jurisdiction. Since the heart of man is God’s jurisdiction, we pray to God to save a human heart.
- Pursue: Individuals and ministries should strategically pursue opportunities to share discuss Jesus with those who don’t know Him.
- Persuade: When opportunities to talk about Jesus present themselves, we wisely, lovingly, and effectively talk about Jesus.
Jesus’ next command is to baptize & train new believers to obey Jesus. Jesus says, “baptize them” & “teach them to obey all that I have commanded you.” Growing is all about what we do to enhance our relationship with God. We talk about growth in two ways at the Village Church.
- Growing Deep: Our mission is to help God’s people grow deep roots of faith in their relationship with God through five key disciplines: prayer, study, giving, connecting, and serving. When done for Jesus, these will necessarily & measurably grow our faith.
- Growing Wide: Our mission is to also grow wide by seeing people come to faith Jesus and for the church to grow numerically. God celebrated numerical growth all throughout the book of Acts, rejoices over every soul who trusts in him, and counts each soul won. So do we! Whether or not the Village Church grows numerically is out of our control as God does the growing, but we seek to see the local and global church grow numerically in souls saved to and for Jesus.
When a follower of Jesus wants to grow, we are faced with the reality of the world, our flesh, and the devil. These three forces seek to prevent our going and our growing. Jesus said “I am with you wherever you go...”. This is the most repeated promise of God to His people in Scripture. With God inside of us, we have the power of God to be unstained by the world, to control and crucify our flesh, and to resist the devil.