Village Church Statement of Faith
From Article IV of the Village Church Constitution
1. We believe the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be: the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings (yet preserved and protected for reliable translation throughout the ages), the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the divine and final authority for all Christian faith and life (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21; 1 Peter 1:2; Matthew 28:19).
2. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (John 17:3; Revelation 4:11; Matthew 28:19).
3. We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into Heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He is now our High Priest and Advocate (John 1:1; Hebrews 1:8; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; Matthew 1:18; Hebrews 1:3, 9:24).
4. We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, and, during this age, to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner through the baptism and sealing work of the Holy Spirit, and indwell, guide, instruct and empower the believer for godly living and service (1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 4:30; John 14:17, 26, 16:7-11).
5. We believe that man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is, therefore, lost, and only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained. (Genesis 1:26; Romans 5:12; Titus 3:3-7; 1 Corinthians 15:2-4, 22-23).
6. We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only such as receive Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and thus become children of God (Acts 4:12; Colossians 1:20; Romans 6:5-6; Titus 3:5-7).
7. We believe that water baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordinances to be observed by the Church during this present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation (Matthew 28:13; Acts 8:36-39; Acts 16:31-33; 1 Corinthians 11:23-25; Acts 22:16).
8. We believe that the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the Body of Christ of which He is the Head (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18).
9. We believe that only those who are members of the true Church shall be eligible for membership in the local church (Acts 2:41-47).
10. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the Church (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18).
11. We believe in the personal, premillennial and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and that this "Blessed Hope" has a vital bearing on the personal life and service of the believer (Acts 1:11; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18; Titus 2:13-14; Zechariah 12, 14; Matthew 24).
12. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead; of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord; of the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment (1 Corinthians 15; Revelation 20:6; John 5:28, 29).